I’m a member of a lovely group that blogs weekly to various sentence prompts and ideas and I often neglect them as life gets so busy. This week I have a little time so I can join in the week’s topic. I’m supposed to be writing a list of “10 things most people don’t know about me” but I thought I’d mix it up a little and do 10 things about Eliza instead. Here they are, in no particular order…..
1. I LOVE READING…. Sadly some people assume that because I am autistic, I can’t do certain things and are often surprised when they see me reading. I read anything and I mean anything, I have read Mum’s bank statements, comic books and even a children’s Bible. My favourite books are ‘Captain Underpants’ and ‘Horrid Henry’. I am 9 years old now and last year School told my Mummy that my reading level is around age 11 years.
2. I HAVE AN AMAZING BOND WITH MY BROTHER…. Noah is 4 and we have a lovely relationship. We are very close and we also fall out all the time like siblings often do. We love playing in the paddling pool and having water fights. I like reading stories to Noah and he likes helping me to put my shoes on which I find hard sometimes as my fine motor skills are poor. Even if we fall out, we always make up and have a hug.
3. I LOVE UNICORNS AND MERMAIDS…. Although when I once forgot the word unicorn and I called it a ‘horny horse’ it made Mummy laugh for ages! My sensory needs mean I prefer certain clothing like loose T-Shirts, soft leggings etc. Because of the way I dress people often think I am a quite a tomboy. I am to a certain degree but I’m also quite a girly girl. My room has sequin cushions, pink walls, unicorn pictures and lots of cuddly toys but it also has my Wii U with games like Lego Batman, Minecraft, Super Mario Maker. I’m just me and this is the stuff I like.
4. I AM QUITE GOOD AT SPORTS…. I am rather good at basketball and score many hoops. I can run pretty well and fast and last year took place in the relay race at School. Mummy laughs when she tells me about my first sports day when I was 3 years old. The gun went off and I ran in the opposite direction to everyone else, followed by a couple of teachers in hot pursuit. Recently I tried football (soccer in USA) but I wasn’t too keen. I found I enjoy cricket and was asked to join the Table Cricket Team at School. This week I took part in a Table Cricket Final on behalf of my School and we came second.
5. I DON’T LET EVERYONE IN TO MY WORLD….. I just can’t, it’s too much. I love people but I find it hard to connect with people sometimes. I’m not being rude, it’s just that I lack confidence or struggle to find stuff to talk about. Anxiety plays a huge part in this but if people are patient and meet me at my level as such, it can be pretty awesome. My School report last year stated how much my classmates looked up to me and some saw me as a role model. I really like having friends and I have some special people in my life. Most of my friends are autistic children or adults. I seem to find myself more comfortable with others that are like me regardless of where they ‘sit’ on the Spectrum.
6. I WEAR EAR DEFENDERS TO BED…. I find it really hard to switch off at night and I have such amazing hearing that I need them to help me close off my mind and settle for sleep. They are nice padded ones so they don’t hurt my ears. They really help me though. Sometimes I need reminding that they can make me forget how loud I am talking because I can’t hear my own voice properly when they are on my ears…. or so Mummy tells me at 3am when I wake her and I’m ‘talking’ to her about Christmas Songs I love!
7. I LOVE FRUIT… Strawberries, bananas and blueberries are my favourite. Sometimes Mummy has to hide the fruit so I don’t eat too much and get a sore tummy. Strawberries taste even better under a mountain of squirty cream….. just saying.
8. I HAVE A HUGE FAMILY….. I already mentioned Noah. I really love my Mummy and Daddy. I have 2 sets of grandparents and lots of Uncles and Aunties, cousins…. I come from a very large family. Mummy is one of seven children and Daddy is one of four. I’m not sure I could count every family member, there are so many. Sometimes we talk to my Uncle and Aunty in Australia via the laptop. They send me things with my name on like cushion covers or door plaques because my name is quite popular there.
9. I KNOW STUFF ABOUT HARRY POTTER… My mummy talks about it so much that when my speech started to come back when I was 4, I was saying the alphabet one day like ‘A is for Apple, B is for Ball….’ and when I got to Q I announced that Q is for Quidditch! Mummy had to pull the car over and wipe a tear of pride from her eye. Some of her favourite shops sell lots of Harry Potter themed clothing so……..
10. I LOVE GOING TO THE CINEMA AND THEATRE…. It’s taken me a long time to gain control over my anxiety. It’s taken a lot of love, patience, support and understanding from everyone around me. I am grateful I was never overly forced to do things, I was nudged gently and supported to try things when I was ready. Because of this my confidence grew and I learnt to take control of some feelings that were holding me back. Last year I went to the theatre for the first time in years and loved it. I’ve been a couple of times since. On New Years Day I announced out of the blue that I wanted to go to the cinema to see Lego Ninjago…. I’d not been in a cinema for over 4 years so Mummy took me and I loved it. I learnt that I can do these things and they are not scary. Mummy learnt something too…. never to ask me “Do you want anything” because suddenly she found herself carrying pringles crisps, haribo sweets, a rainbow mixed slushie and a hot dog as my film snacks!!
Thank You for reading. I’ve written this as if Eliza was writing it. She has sat here with me and I read it out to her and she’s laughed at some stuff and told me to add certain bits so she’s been involved well.